Monday, April 13, 2009

Doorman

I read a quote last week that astounded me and it has been posted on my Facebook wall since...


Fear knocked on the door. Faith answered. No one was there.

Lately, my prayer has been that God answer the door to certain things that knock on the door of heart. It's amazing because it takes that much more pressure off of me to give a fitting answer to these visitors. It's funny what happens to certain vistors when the right "doorman" takes care of the visitor. When I read this quote I envisioned fear bolting before faith could even turn the doorknob. I imagine visitors of anger, envy, strife, and hatred being met by love and peace. I see visitors of doubt and depression being answered by joy and life. We need a "doorman" for our heart.

I am not saying that it is not okay to have or feel emotion, but it is what we do with these things that determine the state of our heart. We are encouraged to guard and be protective of our hearts (Prov 4:23). When we do this we are able to live in abundant life rather than the state of everything around us. What I am realizing though is that Jesus is the only One with the power to answer everything that tries to enter our heart. When He is the doorman it protects us from letting in the wrong visitors. When He is the doorman it shelters us from pains and hurt some visitors may try to bring. When He is the doorman we can truly let Him be in charge of the fights and temptations to which we would lose. When he is the doorman we can live less stressed and more free knowing that the God who rules the universe, is actively living in our heart.

My prayer....

Lord, be the doorman of my heart. Keep me from answering to anything that is not like you. I give you full control to guard my heart and my life. Let Your will be done and not mine. Let Your thoughts and ways be what guide me always.

In Jesus' name. Amen

No comments: