Monday, March 9, 2009

The only One who matters

Two of my good friends just came back from visiting IHOP. Not the pancake IHOP - the International House of Prayer IHOP. Check it out (www.ihop.org). After unsuccesfully cloning myself so no one would know that I was missing from work or class, I conceded to to the fact that I would not be able to go with them.

Upon returning my friend described her experience and what she learned grabbed my heart - our job is to love God. Simple right? But do we really think and live like that?...I know I don't. Most of the time I am hoping I don't disappoint Him, or hoping I am doing the right thing, or trying to stay away from things that will bring me down. That's all well and good, but I realized that I don't wake up saying, "God I just want to love you today." Yet, that is the first commandment that Jesus gives us. "Love the Lord God with all your heart..." (Matthew 22:37, Mark 12:30, Luke 10:27). In the words of Toby Mac, "I was made to love You..."

When we love, we know God (1 John 4:7). I believe that when we know God, we know what it means to meet with Him, to encounter Him, and to dwell with Him.

I heard a prayer Saturday that changed my life. It ended, "In the Name of the only One who matters. Jesus." It is the truth. He is the only One who matters. When we love Him we can seek Him and we will find Him - and truly encounter Him. Everything else falls into place when we love the only One that matters.

My prayer...

Lord, I want to love you more. I want my heart to be undivided for You. You are my true desire. You are the only One that I hope for. When the storms of life try to make me believe that you are absent or that you have forgotten, remind me that Your love for me is unshakable and that You have written me on the palm of Your hand. Help me to keep my heart open to Your love.
In Jesus Name. Amen.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Hey IHOP is cool, in Richmond, they have one, but its called RIHOP (Richmond Internatioanl House of Prayer) I think the concept is cool

Danielle said...

I love your BLOG!