Monday, February 23, 2009

Don't go to jail...

I got a laugh in this weekend and saw Madea Goes to Jail. I was born in and lived in the West End of Atlanta until I was almost 6 years old, so for those of you who saw the movie, "I am from the West End where we cut first and ask later..." (Don't ask me to roll down there now...LOL)

When the house lights came on the "Po-Po" were in full force trying to figure out who to haul away. Apparently, in the middle of the movie a fight broke out in the theater (that's why I usually try to go to suburban theaters....another story for another day...LOL). I mean, really though, we ARE watching a movie about someone going to jail because of their temper. It seems like someone could have talked that person out of fighting. There is a lot more to do in life than going to jail.

As I was shaking my head about people who like staying in trouble and going to jail, my head stopped mid-shake as I thought about the personal jails in which I like to stay. Like the jail of fear. Or the jail of insecurity. Or the jail of self-pity. Or the jail of...

Me: Okay God, there are some jails it seems that I like going to...
God: You don't ever have to live there.
Me: But its hard not to go to those things. I mean what if I am really sad about something...
God: You don't ever have to live there.

There are times when I get out of the jail of fear, stay out for a while and go right back. I don't even have an explanation for it...I just find myself back there. When I do get out - it seems like it is on a technicality. For instance, someone may call on me to do something and I can't make myself pass out fast enough, so I do it, and get out of the jail of fear...for like an hour.

God: You dont ever have to live there. Ever.

I am reminded of The Wiz when Diana Ross/Dorothy asks, "what are you afraid of?...don't know what I'm made of..."

We are made of the best. In His image and likeness, inwardly we are being renewed and being transformed more like Him day by day.

My prayer...

Jesus, thank you for the freedom You gave me through Your sacrifice at the cross. Thank you that I don't have to live in [name your personal jails/chains], but by the power of Your blood I am free. Thank you that everyday You are transforming me into Your likeness. Help my heart to be open to your love, let my ears be clear to hear Your voice, give me the strength to have the readiness to obey.

No comments: